The construction related projects, whether small or large, are supervised by professionals known as general contractors or GC. Other names used for a general contractor are building contractor, builder, modeling contractor, etc. The word ‘general’ refers to kind of job he does. He signs a contract with the owner and then completes his job for certain bid price. He supervises the labors, buys the construction material and prepares various tasks for subcontractors.
More or less the job of a general contractor is like that of the handyman. It’s the responsibility of the owner of the project to hire a contractor, and the decision of choosing right contractor must be done wisely because it is an important factor on which the failure or success of your project depends. You need to hire a handyman, in which you can trust completely and feel easy to work with even if you have to pay little extra.
Choosing the right General Contractor:
Following are a few tips proposed by famous contractor Tom Silva about how to choose the best contractor.
- Go through suggestions: Once you feel the necessity of a contractor, start searching for it around you. Ask friends and family and go through the list of top contractors on National Association of the Remodeling Industry. You can go yourself to check on, to the local lumberyard and see the work of general contractors there.
- Take an interview: After shortlisting some of the candidates, do a quick interview on the phone and ask them few questions to check their flexibility, availability and quality of work, like:
- How many projects can you carry out at a time?
- Can you take a project of any size?
- Can you handle the financial issues?
- Meet in live: Choose 4 or 5 contractors after assessment you made on phone calls. Invite each one of them to meet you in person for further questioning. They must be able to provide satisfactory answers. Also contact the Better Business Bureau or Customer Protection Agency to check out details of each general contractor about his history work.
- Ask some facts: Make a list of eligible general contractors and start doing a brief researching on their work. Ask their previous clients and also check their products to judge them.
- Make a payment schedule and keep a record: It’s time to discuss finances with your favorite contractors which will exhibit their financial conditions. Make payment discussions and the schedule of work with them of your project. Note down every detail with dates in your records and prepare a contract to offer to the contractor.
So, it is not just about choosing a handyman who can do a perfect job for you. It’s about building a trust with the best general contractor to have the formidable experience to complete your project. Out of all the general contractors, only a few can have that ability which you are looking for and you to work hard for choosing those around you.